Jax

Do you have to clip cats back claws? My kitty is declawed in the front but his back claws are really long.

Asked by Jax on Jan 1st 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Morgana - forever my soul

Since Jax is declawed, he may not get a chance to use his back claws as much as a regular cat would. You mention that you found him & he adopted you, so maybe someone before you had him declawed. If you did though, please reconsider it next time.

A cat's back claws aren't as retractable as their front claws. So when they walk on rough surfaces or use them in climbing trees outside, the claws are worn down a little & never become too long. But indoors, on soft or smooth floors, they can become too long & even grow into the pads a little. You can tell when they're too long as it sounds like someone VERY tiny in high heels walking about on a hard floor. When I hear clickey-click from mine, I know it's time to trim their back claws.

If there's no sound when Jax walks on hard surfaces, I'd say that they're fine. Back claws do seem longer since they don't retract well. If it's not bothering you or him, I'd not clip them. If you do, make sure you don't cut into the quick which is painful.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mysty (The Princess)

We clip both our cat's back claws-they do need it at times due to how long they can get.

Mysty (The Princess) answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer