Do you have suggestions for preparing my very sensitive and clingy cat for a human baby in the house?

My cat tends to urinate in inappropriate places when he is stressed or something has changed. I'm afraid he's going to resort to it again when the baby comes and I won't be able to give him as much attention. We've had him on Prozac in the past but I'd rather not go that route again because he's just not himself and also the vet insist on giving him expensive and stressful tests.

Asked by Member 1178667 on Jul 5th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Spend extra time with your cat. Buy extra treats, toys and climbers. He might be fine... and he might not. Let him smell out the baby with your supervision. Do not believe the old wives tales about felines and babies. If the cat thinks he is not allowed near the baby, that is when he will get jealous. Just act normal and lather him with affection whenever you can. Buy a blacklight to see where he pees so that you can clean it up thoroughly for proper sanitation purposes. Also try calming spray and/or pheromone diffusers if he starts spraying again. When you are pumping and sleep deprived, you are NOT going to be happy cleaning up cat pee!! Congrats on the bb and good luck! ^_^