Howie

Do people eat cats?

I was talking to my co-worker about my lost cat, and he mentioned that maybe an Asian neighbor got a hold of him and ate him.

Despite being a totally insensitive comment, does anyone know if this still holds true? I l know some people in Asia used to eat cats, but isn't it a stereotype to say one of my Asian apartment neighbors would only cook a cat that they found? Would a person find a cute stray cat and keep it only to eat it?

I shudder to think, and now I'm even more upset.

Asked by Howie on Sep 10th 2008 Tagged stray, lost in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Gracie

Your co-worker sounds very ignorant! We couldn't believe the remarks he came up with. Not only is it ignorant, but pretty insensitive of him to even suggest it when you are upset about this. He should be offering constructive advice on what you can do to find Howie.

We don't have asian neighbors that we know of, but we know plenty of asian people (dad's friends) and some of them are cat owners, just as loving as our pawrents are. If any of your neighbors found Howie, the worst that could have happened is that they didn't have room to keep him, and might have passed him on to a friend to care for, or might have gotten the humane society involved (you are checking with local shelters, right?).

I would ask your landlord if you can post flyers or go door to door to distribute them. You never know, one of your asian neighbors might be a good samaritan and has your kitty right now, believing it to have been abandoned. It's at least worth a try, don't you think?

Gracie answered on Sep 14th.

Answers

Mr D - D'boat #19

Don't think that way. I know you do as it had crossed my hoomans mind when I went missing as we also got told that too. But I was found alive and well.To get it out of your mind, go and see them. Knock on their door with a picture of your cat. and talk to them, you might find they are caring people that would hurt a fly.

Mr D - D'boat #19 answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cherry

Hi,
I am really sorry to say but your co-worker is not a sensible person to talk to at this time.I would suggest always tell your problems only to people who will give you solutions and not more problems and heartache. given your state of mind, this is the most absurd response he could give you.Right now use all your energy, strength and your thoughts in finding your cat.We as humans always want someone to blame.So does your co-worker.If you listen to him it would only lead to more heartache and absolutely insane allegations.If you google it you would find a lot more! But how far these statements are valid we never know! So if you still feel that way, why not knock on their door and ask them politely if they saw your kitty? and let them know if they catch a glimpse of him to let you know.Am sure they are good people and would not do anything to harm your cats. Try to spend every spare min to search for him rather than talking to such people who waste your time.Dont worry & Good luck

Cherry answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov

Your co-worker just sounds a bit ignorant, its more likely your kitty is hiding or.. at worst.. met with a car..

There was a rumour going around my old town that Germans and Russians were stealing tabby cats to turn into coats, there's so much to fuel the imagination! If you are worried, put your energy into making posters and informing local pet-care groups to look out for your cat, instead of wasting your energy fretting about wild rumour and speculation.

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov answered on 9/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer