P.J

Do cats pick their owners?

I had Alex for about five years. He was the first that was really mine. I moved out of my parent's house last year. I took him and my other cat with me. He started to not eat and looked really bad.

I didn't know what to do. I really thought he was going to die. I sent him back to live with my dad. Since then he is better than ever.

I was told that Alex may have been my cat, but he picked my dad as his owner. Is that true?

Asked by P.J on Dec 1st 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Gracie

Sometimes cats do get attached to one person in particular. For us, there are two of us, and while mommy and daddy love us equally, we definitely do have favorites. I love daddy the best, and Boris is definitely more of a momma's boy (though he does miss dad a great deal when he's not home).

It's not that Alex doesn't love you, he just might be a little more attached to your dad than he is to you, and not knowing what had happened to your dad, he might have being "mourning" him, whereas now that he lives with your dad he's happy because he knows you're ok living somewhere with the other cat.

I know it's not fun to feel like you're second best to a loved companion, but look at it this way: at least you know that Alex is safe and happy, and you can visit him and he still remembers you and likes you. That's better than Alex being sad and missing your dad terribly, or Alex becoming attached to someone you don't know, and therefore you not being able to check on him.

Gracie answered on 12/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Audrey (is with Fergus and Cei

I think they do. Audrey (the cat "answerer") loves my husband way more than she loves me. If he comes into the room, I get the cold shoulder as she pounces off too see him. Never mind that I adopted her and cared for her for 7 years before she met him! The minute she laid whiskers on him, she had found her human. She likes me well enough, but she loves him. Interestingly she also adores his Dad. She can be rather aloof with strangers and though my father-in-law only visits once a year, when he does she treats him the same way she treats my husband -- with complete catly adoration.

I would suspect that Alex feels similarly about your dad. Cats are odd little beasts!

Audrey (is with Fergus and Cei answered on 12/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer