Do cats miss other family pets when they die?

Our Shi Tzu (Katie Bell) died and within the next two days after she died our cat (Dirty Girty) started wandering up and down the hall meowing and then jumped hp on both beds and pooped..She has never done that anywhere in the house except her litter box. Also, she paid no attention to our doggie.
She never did it again.
Regards

Asked by Member 980693 on Apr 10th 2010 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

im sure she can miss her companion once they have passed. my kitten was seperated from her brother recently because he brother was adopted to a family and now my girl wanders around meowing but has stopped for the most part. she missed the litter box once and pooped near it. just give her lots of love and affection and im sure she will come around once she has grieved. sorry for your loss

Yes, cats and dogs do grieve. When Linus' buddy, Mr. Fez passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly in January, Linus was clearly upset. He bolted through my apartment door into the hall when I was trying to leave for the vet with Fez and did that a few more times over the following days after Fez's passing - he was looking for him. Linus also didn't eat very well for a couple days after Fez's death, and was on me like velcro for comfort.

Katie Bell and Dirty Girty may have been closer than you thought. Dirty Girty knows Katie Bell is gone and sounds upset. I am very sorry for your loss.