could my cat be pregnant?

Two weeks ago my non-spayed cat snuck outside. My fiance says she was only out for about an hour or more. He said he heard some weird cat noises, but didnt know exactly what. Now she sleeps all day and is very cuddly. Her tummy looks bigger, but she bites me everytime i try to touch her there (she doesnt really like her belly touched anyway) it feels kinda swollen and stiff, but I didnt feel any bumps. Also, at the time she got out she was not in heat, her last heat cycle was a week before.

I looked at her when she came back in and she didnt have any scratches or bites on her. We do have three differnt strays around our house, but I dont know if they were male.

could she be pregnant?

Asked by Member 811246 on Mar 4th 2009 Tagged utoh in Pregnancy

Answers

If she's not spayed and she got outside, yep, it's very possible that she's pregnant. You should take her to the vet to be sure.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Yes, it is very likely she is pregnant. You will need to see a vet to know for sure though. She may have been at the start of a heat cycle or in a "silent heat" where they don't display most of the usual annoying signs of heat. That's probably why she snuck out. Please see a vet to determine if she is pregnant and consider having her spayed.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 3/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

How old is she? A cat can start to go into heat as early as 5-6 months. I'm a breeder, and have four month old kittens. I'm keeping the boys caged until they find families, because I don't want them mating with their sisters (all are so childlike at this point that it's unlikely, but better safe than sorry). Anyway, breeders first breed their females between one and two years. If your cat is under one year, you need medical advice. In any event, you need to see a vet. And the bottom line is finding good homes for the kittens, if she is pregnant and allowed to have them. And do have her spayed, unless you know that all future kittens will get good homes. Breeders usually spay their cats at around age five. Leila's litter was my first, and I made a lot of mistakes. But it was a planned pregnancy, and I know I will find homes for her seven (!) kittens eventually, even if I don't make any money. Spay Kitty. There are cheap options available.

Did you know that 95% of all cats and kittens turned into shelters are euthanized because there are no homes for them? And, those are the lucky ones. Kittens that are given away "free to a good home" can wind up in the hands of collectors who sell them to brokers who sell them to research labs. Dog-fighting rings also pick them up and use them to train their dogs for "blood lust". If a cat is in heat and wants to mate, I've seen them chew through drywall to get out and find a male. Please do the responsible thing and have her spayed. Thanks!

Sugar

I took my friends cat, unknowingly a week after she got pregnant. 2 weeks later I noticed she was getting fat, but only her stomach area. Her nipples were also swollen and her belly firm, not flabby like fat would be. Sugar also didn't have any noticable bites or scratches. It does sound like your cat is pregnant. The best thing would be take her to a vet, or if that isn't an option right at the moment just keep a close eye on her. She will noticably get bigger in a short amount of time. Cats are only pregnant for 60-63 days. Sugar was also very cuddly during her pregnancy, especially right before she gave birth.

Sugar answered on 3/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gypsie

This sounds like what happened with my Gypsie. She got pregnant (I THINK) at the end of January, and just had her kittens a few days ago (their eyes aren't even open). My cat was an indoor/outdoor cat, and one night we heard wierd cat noises (like you said), and in the next couple of weeks, Gypsie started growing bigger and bigger. Her teats became more pronounced, and she also became more cuddly and affectionate than usual (she had been very skittish--and still is when she's outside). However, we felt the teats become especially pronounced about 2 weeks before she actually delivered (if they became bigger before that, I don't know, because we just checked about 2 weeks before she had them and they were bigger).
Gypsie didn't have any scratch/bite marks on her either, but we did see several strays around our house. We even opened the door one day and saw 2 huge males trying to.... um.... you know. We chased them off, but obviously at least one of them succeded.
I hope this helped! :)

Gypsie answered on 4/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer