Constant aggressive begging- screaming, glaring, tripping, "passive aggressive purring"

1.5 year old perfectly healthy male cat- we've had him since 10 weeks old, has persistently become more and more aggressive in begging for food. We have never once rewarded this behavior with food. I'm talking 15 hours a day if I'm home all day. We feed him twice a day at the same times every day. He gets roughly half an hour playtime with me every day (spread out) including lots of hunting games, lots of cuddles, has plenty of rotating toys, and a brother who he plays with constantly.

We've tried ignoring him, "mom cat" techniques, spray bottles, noise makers, firm nudging away, even picking him up and putting him in a different room when he does this. He's only gotten more aggressive in response. He gets tripped over and accidentally stepped on (sometimes hard enough to make him scream) at least 5x a day, but he's right back within 3 seconds tripping us up again.

I'm at my wit's end and am nearly close tears on a regular basis. Are there any techniques I haven't tried?

Asked by Member 1208995 on Jan 11th 2014 in Aggression

Answers

Is there a chance that one of your kids is giving this cat food? Even non-begging cats (and my small dog) get tripped on at least once a day, especially when they hang out by your feet to say hi or rub on you... this is normal. Weigh your cat and then read the side of your food bag and see if he is receiving enough to eat per day. Healthy foods such as MaxCat adult have suggested per day feeding guidelines on the side of the bag. Make sure each cat has his own bowl 2x a day at feeding time. You can also throw a dental Greenie cat treat away from you (they will not break on the floor) for your cat to chase and eat if he is helping you to be unstable or attacking you. Six treats per day (total) spread out is fine. You can also hide them around the house like a game for them to find... they will be eaten and come in eight different flavors ^_^