Cattail in the cat litter?

I have a Birman (possibly mixed), medium longhair, approx. 9-12 mo. old, adopted 2 mos. ago. I've been using Dr. Elsie's Precious crystal litter for longhairs.
My cat either doesn't lift his tail high enough while using the box or actively trails it through the litter while exiting, so he's often carrying waste out with him, which ends up either stuck in his fur (the litter is like glue) or dropping off right outside the box.

He's also now taken to jumping over the litter mat - I think he's associating spending too long in the box with poo in the tail, but it's not solving anything - now litter is just getting all over, too.

I tried to switch to walnut shells this weekend, but he just tried to eat it. Has anyone else had this problem & successfully taught their cat to lift his/her tail &/or discovered a litter that doesn't cause this problem? I don't want to shave him - since it's his tail, I don't even really consider it much of an option, anyway. Thanks!

Asked by Member 1197837 on Nov 5th 2013 Tagged catlitter, taildragging, litterboxtraining, soiledtail in Pet Products

Answers

I would forget the crystals and walnuts and go back to regular cat litter. I have a medium-hair that occasionally gets a dingleberry, and unfortunately I usually find this out by smell (YUKK). Then I corner her with a cat wipe and pluck it off her butt and rub off any extra poop. We use a combo of clumping litters; my guys are not specific. I will tell you that purebreeds, particularly persians, are notorious for pooing outside of the box completely. My favorites are Arm & Hammer baking-soda covered clumping (I forget the name, blue lettering), Everclean, Dr. Elsey Cat Attract, Tidy Cat Breathe Easy (green) and Fresh Step Extreme Unscented. ^_^

Tequila

My Uma has just turned 9 months old and does the same thing. I've taken to trimming the hair of her bloomers, around her bum and the bottom of her tail. I just use scissors I don't shave it. I think it's a joy of a longer haired kitten. I'm sure it will get better when she gets a little older and a bit smarter. I use the pine pellet litter. It sticks occasionally but not very often.

Tequila answered on 1/14/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer