Harvey

Cats not eating for three days will inevitably die?

That may be common wisdom, but what about the cat that survived the World Trade Center disaster (or some other disaster) and lived in the basement for a month with only water and no food? I don't think she was eating many or any mice. Can you really generalize that all cats who don't eat for three days will die?

By the way, the advice about storing extra food is a good idea. With my brood of seven, they go through a bag of food a day. Since I live alone and have no friends to help, I was really stricken when I couldn't go out and get my cats their food--although I didn't mind going without food myself.

No, I don't think we have grocery delivery service in Japan, but I should look into it. That also is good advice.

Everyone here is eating fine now, thank you (but no raw elk--they don't carry it in Japanese supermarkets). Har.

Asked by Harvey on May 22nd 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

I am glad your family is back on track - try not to worry about it - I know you must feel guilty - but it was unintended. See if there are any delivery services and keep a little extra in the house - unless any of the kitties are behaving as if they are ill - I am sure they are fine. Good luck to you.

♥Sam

I've also heard of many stories of cats going for 2 weeks (even longer) trapped. They have survived, and that was without water. But I wouldn't want to put it to the test and I'm guessing it wouldn't be too good for the kidney's. We are glad to see you back posting as we have missed you. Have the kittens gone to their new homes yet?. Good luck with everything

♥Sam answered on 5/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris

Cats who don't eat for a while will survive, but they might have a host of other problems. I think I mentioned I worked at a school that had adopted a kitty as its mascot (a beautiful MC mix, btw), and he went over 2 weeks without water or food. He survived, but he was touch and go for about six weeks, suffered a lot of neurological and liver damage, and while he has improved greatly since, he still has trouble with his balance sometimes.

I also had Boris getting very sick from a day of going on a hunger strike, so I can tell you some cats are hardier than others, but I wouldn't take the chance if I can help it. Glad to hear they've got food now.

I would just buy a bag of food, then buy another one a different day, and keep buying a new one whenever you start using the second one. That way, you always have some food in reserve. We have actually done that for a long time. Not doing it right now, but only because we are moving, and are tapped for space.

Boris answered on 5/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer