Patrick

Cats and gas heaters

We are moving to a house with gas space heaters. My mom is afraid that one of us will get our tail in the wrong spot and set it on fire. She read something about radiant heaters and thought she might be able to replace the ones we have with those. Anyone have any advise?

Asked by Patrick on Mar 30th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Diego

maybe try to train little Patrick to not go there or put some little fence or something around it and dont worry Diego is only 3 months old kitten and i have a gas heater and nothing ever happened so dont worry!

Good Luck With The House!

Diego answered on 3/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can get fireguards to put in front of gas/real fires to stop kids and pets getting too close. Here's a link to one you can get in the UK www.argos.co.uk . I've seen similar ones in the US but not sure what they are called here.

Harvey

The other posters have good ideas. You are right to worry about this--I had a cat (who was not the sharpest pencil in the box), who loved to sleep next to the electric space heater. At least twice, she singed her fur to the point that the smell of burning hair filled the room. She and I noticed the smell at the same time, but she didn't equate the smell of burning fur with the fact that she had just singed her white fur with a big brown spot. Of course, I only had the space heaters on when I could supervise, but darned if she didn't manage to burn her fur anyway. There was no harm done--no actual skin burns--but it was scary just the same. As for Harvey, since I cook so infrequently, each tiime I go near the stove, he thinks I'm going to be serving up some cat food. Thus, when I put the kettle on the burner to boil water, he managed to burn his tail twice. Again, no actual injury, but his fluffy Maine Coon tail could have gone up in flames if I hadn't caught it in time.

Harvey answered on 3/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I can definitely understand your fear. When I bought my house, it had a wood stove in the kitchen. Aside from my own fear of fire, I was worried the cats would jump on it and burn their little paws. I made the owners take it out as part of the purchase agreement. I am sure it would have saved a mint on my heating bills (I have electric baseboards) but it just wasn't worth the risk. I am not sure what type of radiant heaters you are referring to but I bought a small radiant heater for my basement and it was not good for much. Unless you were standing right in front of it, you could not feel any heat. It does not heat the room well. Do your research and test them before buying anything. PS. Patrick is beautiful! Sounds like his beginnings weren't so good but it looks like he picked the right rescue Mom.

Patrick is a very handsome guy! We don't have gas heaters, but we do have a smooth-top cooktop in our kitchen and the burners stay hot for a long time after they're turned off. I can attest to the fact that my cats have never, to my knowledge, jumped up on one and been burned. They've gotten close to the cooktop when I've been cooking (there's FOOD up there after all!) but do avoid the hot burner. We also have a gas fireplace and although the cats do sit and gaze into it (wonder what they see in the flames?) they've never gotten even close to it. You are SUCH a good Meowmie for worrying about your gorgeous little boy!