Cat won't poop. Should we give her chicken or canned wet food?

So my cat won't poop and she hasn't for a while. I think we should try feeding her some boiled chicken. My husband says NO that canned wet food is more hydrating and that chicken will just add more bulk and add to the problem. Who's right? any thoughts?

Asked by Member 1153765 on Feb 5th 2013 Tagged chicken, cannedfood, wetfood, hydrating, nopoop, sick, help, advice in Health & Wellness

Answers

Actually, neither of you (no offense intended!) Before treating her for constipation, at least call your vet and ask if they want to see her. There can be a few medical reasons for constipation and you need to rule those out first. If she seems lethargic, is hiding, picking at her food or not eating at all and if she is tender in her belly, she absolutely needs to go to the vet. Also, if she is chronically constipated, you need suggestions from your vet before you tinker with her diet. Your vet may suggest Laxatone, Kat-a-lax or even petroleum jelly (yuk). Another option is a weight control cat food that is higher in fiber. A tablespoon of canned pumpkin (NOT pie mix) could work too. But first, you need to make sure there is no medical reason for her not pooping. If there is, home remedies could at the least not work, and at the worst, make her sick.

I used to get backed up with hairballs & I wouldn't eat or poop. I always had to go to the vet to get an enema. I think she needs to go to the vet for sure, especially since you said that she hasn't pooped for a while. She is suffering & needs help. If you find out that it's hairballs, Mommy gives me Pro-Pet Hairball gel that she gets from Walmart. It's inexpensive, it works & I love it!