Cat wont let me sleep at night!

I just adopted a 9 year old female cat last week. I have always had cats, but I do not let them sleep with me at night. So I just close my door. But all she does all night is scratch at the door and carpet, bang herself against the door and cry. What do i do?

Asked by Member 931936 on Dec 27th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Tutti

Why don't you let them sleep with you? If you open the door she might not jump in bed with you, she might just want to make sure you are still there. She still is new to you and it takes a while for cats to understand that this is their home now. She probally is lonely and unsure of herself. Give her time to adjust. If you have the means maybe get another cat to keep her company at night and of course during the day.

Tutti answered on 12/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Having an animal sleep with you is a personal decision. My cats don't sleep with us on a regular basis, mostly because Izzie likes to hunt bed mice at 3AM. But, Tutti is right. If this cat has been bounced around from home to home, or even if she was an owner surrender and lived in one home for 9 years before being given up, she's going through some real tough times mentally right now. Even though you are giving her a loving new home, her confidence level is low right now, she's unsure of herself and her surroundings and she needs some extra love. Make sure she has a nice place to rest at night, even to the point of putting a good, soft bed (like a "Morgan Bed", available at the Catster Marketplace on this site) right outside your door. She's not being bad, or annoying on purpose, she's just lonely.