Maya

Cat vomiting after eating?

We give our cats wet food in the morning, (Currently they have the wet fancy feast, which they've eaten there entire lives) and after they eat it they are starting to throw up. Its my responsibility to take care of the cats, but im sick and tired of being blamed for the acts. I did EXACTLY as my mom told me to do, i put the right amount and everything. Even when my mom or dad feeds them and they throw up, its still my fault of cleaning it up. I want to know whats happening, if im feeding them too much, or if they need a different brand.
Sincerely,
---Maya, Queen of Meow, And Pasha, King of Lazy--

Asked by Maya on Aug 10th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Unfortunately, part of the "joy" of having animals also means having to clean up whatever comes out of either end. It sounds to me like maybe you were the one who wanted the cats and said you'd take care of them. That doesn't mean, however, that it's your fault that they're throwing up. And yes, the 'rents could pitch in with the clean-up. Having animals is a family responsibility and when I volunteered with an animal rescue, we always made sure that the entire family was on board with the care of the animal before we ok'd the adoption. If this is something that's suddenly started happening, the cats do need to go to the vet's. Don't suddenly switch food as that could make it worse. Rely on your vet's advice.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Aug 10th.

Answers

Hunter

First of all, it's not your fault the cats are vomiting. Is it all the cats or just one? Are they vomiting the food back up or are they vomiting liquid? Does it happen immediately after feeding? Do they eat really fast? Do they also vomit dry food? I'd stop giving the canned food for a few days and see what happens. If they continue to vomit then a vet visit is needed to rule out other metabolic problems. Good luck, and don't let your parents bring you down for something you have no control over!

Hunter answered on 8/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kitty Pryde

How is the food coming out when they vomit? My kitty had this problem after a while, and sometimes she wouldn't throw up until hours later, and the food (wet stuff) was coming up un-digested. 1.she was eating too fast and too much, and 2.when I took her to the vet it turned out her whiteblood cell count was high, meaning infection, and her kidney levels were off-no sure exatly why that was. The vet suggested that wet food might be aggitating her kidneys because she has a sensitive system and suggested taking her off completely. I give her only a tiny amount now daily and she has been fine. Take them to the vet because it could be anything. I was giving her the good organic food too, so any brand, high quality or low can trigger reactions in her if she has too much. Now, I live alone, but would find the vomit overnight after work all over the house and I have to clean it because they are just like children. It's not your fault, just get them checked out right away. Good luc

Kitty Pryde answered on 8/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Licorice

OK it's not your fault for the cats vomiting, it's a health problem not about how much you feed them or any of that.(or the brand)If you have been feeding them that there whole entire lives you don't need to switch their food, you need to take your kitty to the vet, because throwing up is a big sign that it is a health issue and you cannot heal them by switching their food or measuring out the exact amount of food, so PLEASE take your kitty to the vet.

Licorice answered on 8/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer