Mittens

Cat scratches on door?

Mittens will scrath on the door to get in. she chips off the paint and sreds the black door jam thing. she stopped doing it a while back so i replaced them but now she is doing it again! Any ideas? I was thinking that maby if I started clipping her nails?
thanks

Asked by Mittens on Dec 10th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Rex

If you clip her nails be careful that you don't get any of the pink in her nails, that will hurt her. I clip my kitties nails. I'm assuming that you are letting her out and she wants in. If that's the case why not get a cat door, she can come in and out anytime she wants. If not and it's an inside door try a sticky tape that cats don't like. You can buy it at a pet store.

Rex answered on 12/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When my cat/dogs are outside, I always keep an eye on the door. When they're at the door, I open it as soon as they come up to it. I have an impatient Springer who has dug up my carpet and scratched the patio door glass so I learned early on to be vigilant. The cat door idea is a great one, but make sure you get one that locks or has preventative measures so you can control her coming and goings and keep unwanted animals out! I can tell you that clipping her nails will only help minimally. I tried it and they scratch so hard it tears up the carpet/door anyway.