Cheddar, Almond, Razberry

Cat peeing on couch

My one girl just recently started peeing on the couch now I do have 8 cats but they ALL get along I also have 4 foster kittens but no one seems to be bothered by them. I had the kittens for almost 2 months before she started peeing. I have tried Feliway and Natures Best Urine cleaner, pee pads and she still pees. I have had her tested waitng on results but even if it comes back positive or negative how do I get her to get back to using litterbox all the time (she uses it to poop and sometimes pee) I clean them 3 x's a day and when she pees she pees DOES NOT SPRAY Could this be more than a UTI? I would also like recommendations on cleaners - as of now I don't have a staining issue cause Im using pee pads but I replace everyday and Im just frustrated on how to handle! Please help.

Asked by Cheddar, Almond, Razberry on Jul 25th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If it is a UTI, once that's cleared up she should begin using the box exclusively again. If it's a stress issue or has become a habit, that's another story. If you are putting pee pads on the couch, then you're sending her the message that it's OK to pee there. Also, when an animal pees on a porous surface like furniture or a bed, it's extremely difficult to remove the scent of urine and that's what she's attracted to. Sometimes replacing the cushion or mattress is the only option. If she pees exclusively in that one area, there is a contraption that shoots a puff of air called "Scccaat". I've seen it at Walmart. 12 cats is a lot and sometimes it's a territorial issue even if they seem OK with it, especially if the one who's peeing was there first. Cats aren't herd animals and sometimes feel overwhelmed when there are a lot in "their" territory. If you foster for an organization, chat with other fosters to see how they handle this issue.

Mikko

Maybe she does not like where the litter box is. She might be marking her territory, but you said just recently so I am not entirely sure.....The cleaner I would use on a couch would be Lysol, after spraying it down with water to keep the scent out. Also maybe spray the couch with Lysol a few times a week to keep the scent well away, because like dogs, if she smells her scent she will keep peeing. I don't know if it is more than a UTI but other than what I have said and Izzie had said, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck! :)

Mikko answered on 8/2/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer