Cat not using litter box for urinating.

My friend adopted a cat from the animal shelter and has had this cat for a while with no litter box issues. She just took in another cat that a person could not care for anymore. The new cat is using the litter box. The cat she had from the shelter started urinating out of the litter box in an area of her home. The cat uses the litter box for stool deposits, just the urinating is the problem. My friend bought a second litter box and is trying that as I write this. We are aware of the products in pet stores that can attract the cat to the litter box, but have not tried it yet. Do you have any suggestions that she could try?

Asked by Member 1151115 on Jan 20th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Make sure both cats are altered. It's quite possibly a marking-behavior that will solve itself, and also that the resident cat didn't appreciate sharing a box. Cats will also stop using the box if they have a urinary tract infection. Stress can cause these infections. If kitty #1 hasn't been to the vets to be checked, your friend should take him/her in. I had limited success with a product called "Feliway" that's supposed to attract cats to the box, but others have had wonderful success. Make sure your friend clean up all pee spots with an oxy or enzyme based cleaner and follows the directions. It needs to be left on the spots for at least 1/2 hour. If the problem truly gets out of hand, your friend needs to call the vet for more advice.