Rusty

Cat needs a companion - do a add a kitten, or relocate a former friend?

So here's the back story behind it all:
I have a 7 year old red point Siamese cat whom I took with me when I went off to college recently due to him being extremely attached to me. Before the move, he was living in a fairly large house on private land (where it's almost completely silent) with a family of four, a dog and two other cats - one of which he got along with very well. Fast-forward a few months, and now he's living in a one bedroom apartment in a busy city with only myself. He had begun showing some blatant signs of being lonely, which subsequently went away each time I returned home with him.
He needs a friend, that much is a given.

Now for the main question, which I haven't been able to make up my mind about:
Do I take the cat that he grew up and got along well with back with me as a friend for him, and risk the shell-shock of such a drastic relocation (cat that would be going as a friend is a quite literal ball of energy), or should I just get him a kitten for company?

Asked by Rusty on May 22nd 2013 Tagged lonely, relocate, moving in Separation Anxiety

Answers

I would first add a climbing tree, window perch and more toys. I just rescued a wild kitten and she can get up and down the entire condo in ten seconds flat. See if this all helps. The only thing worse than one cat cooped up in a small space is two; they might not end up remaining friends AT ALL. He is not going to be happy with the kitten at first because he has a new and cramped territory that he will want to defend, so she will have to live in the bathroom (separated) for awhile. Shower him with treats like SmartBites to pacify him if you decide to get another. If you get a new animal, feed her kitten food like MaxKitten for her first year (she needs the nutrition of baby food and he will gain weight if he eats it regularly). Definitely get a girl to avoid gender dominance issues, but you must be committed to keeping her because she is going to drive him (and you) nuts always wanting to play. ^_^