Ozzie

Cat limping, weight loss but blood work normal. Any ideas?

My 13 year old Cat has been limping for 4 days now. Took him to the vet, no signs of trauma, no temp... but he has lost 2lbs since his annual in June. A few weeks after his annual, he was limping. I waiting a few days and the limp went away. Fast forward to last weekend and it is back. Took him to the vet yesterday and the did bloodwork and a physical exam. Bloodwork came back great. He hasn't been very interested in food lately, but I've gotten him to eat treats, tuna, boiled chicken and baby food. I caught him by his normal food bowl when I came home today eating a little. Vet gave him Nsaid, which seems to be making him feel better. We go back Friday to see the vet again to try to figure out what is going on. This is my baby, he's my heart so this is very upsetting. We've gone through Asthma and 3 years ago diabetes(which has been in remission-diet controlled). The uncertainty is killing me.... Anyone experience anything similar? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Vivian & Ozzie

Asked by Ozzie on Aug 13th 2014 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Flo (D. 5 Aug 2014)

Hello. Sorry to hear Ozzie is a little under the weather.

The limp: I know you said it was there, went away and then came back... but while it was there, was it constant or just a momentary thing? I'm assuming from what you said the vet wasn't able to even find a "tender spot"... an area that might cause him pain or grief. That right? Back leg(s) or front?

I'm curious and wish you and Ozzie the best. My Flo passed last week. About three months ago she started with a limp... more of a stepping-lightly thing with a hind leg, but an on-again/off-again one. It would only last a moment or two. And she was happy and content while it was happening. No change in her behavior. Is that similar to Ozzie?

I saw a vet that could find no "tender spots", and her bloodwork was normal as well. An animal neurologist said it 'might' be a seizure. I wholeheartedly disagree... but whatever. Do you think Ozzie could be having seizures... or were these limping episodes long-term, not short as with Flo.

Flo (D. 5 Aug 2014) answered on 8/14/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Okay, do not feed your cat cooked human food because it does not have the nutrition and protein of cat food, unless you are going to switch to a raw food diet. So inadvertently you are not giving him the correct nutrition by pushing food on him. Check his paws for a thorn. Muscular injury is painful, does not show up on an X-Ray and takes awhile to heal. Ask the vet about joint supplements such as cosequin if he's having trouble getting around. Switch to senior cat food, and if he won't eat it, the more you switch his food, the more vitamin-deprived the cat will become. ^_^