cat keeps me up all night

I have a one year old cat who does not let me sleep and it is literally driving me CRAZY. She is constantly scratching on my closet door or my window blinds or doing everything she can to make noise. Even if I open all of the blinds so she can see out the window (at night I don't know why) she'll find something else to make noise and irritate me with. I literally am woken up every 1/2 to 1 hour throughout the night and no matter how many times I yell NO she'll stop and two minutes later start right back up. If I put her out of the bedroom then she scratches on my door or I can hear her getting into something else somewhere else in the house. My only option to get some sleep is to put her outside at night which I don't want to do. HELP.....I can't handle not sleeping much longer!

Asked by Member 755937 on Feb 17th 2009 in Noisiness

Answers

First, is she spayed? Spaying often helps calm them down quite a bit. I am looking forward to April when it's time for my little one to go. Right now she's a nut. Try to make sure she has things to keep her busy and stimulated during the day. Windows to look out of, cat trees to climb, toys to play with. Play with her in the evening with something like a laser toy to get her energy out while you are awake. And discourage napping. As mean as it sounds, wake her up and play with her. She needs to reverse her sleep cycle and start sleeping when you do. I also run an air cleaner at night in my room to add some "white noise" (mine was only like $25 at Wal Mart since I am more out for the sound than the air cleaning quality) Then I don't hear every little sound. I am a light sleeper and cranky when I am sleep deprived so I really kow how you must feel.

Lily Rose does the same thing. She scratches, meows and throws herself at our bedroom door. We can't let her in because the three dogs sleep with us,one of whom loves to chase Lily. We'd wind up with the Daytona 500 in our room and over our bed at night. I've found that giving her a little food, playing with her and then gently grooming her calms her down and she doesn't do it as much as before. But, Allie's advice is excellent. If she's not spayed, she needs to be as that will calm her down.