Cat is recently erratic with his bathroom habits. Ive lost almost all hope and don't want to get rid of him. Please Help

My cat (1 year old) has only recently begun to pee outside the box (50% of the time) and poo in other areas of the house (25% of the time). The thing is he still uses the litterbox for the most part. I clean it every day and change it every 5-7 days. He found a spot outside of the laundry room (where his box is) to poo. And when he pees its just outside the box on the floor. I have two small dogs that I diligently keep away from his room so as not to make him feel trapped but he just isnt stopping his behavior. I'm beginning to get really discouraged and might end up letting him up for adoption because I cant figure this out. Please help

Asked by Member 1186823 on Aug 23rd 2013 Tagged litter, pee, poop, bathroom in Behavior & Training

Answers

If you are threatening to give up a cat when it doesn't behave the way you desire, maybe cat ownership is not for you. Does he have enough toys, climbing spaces and scratchers? Is he a bored only cat? Are there other pets who are bothering him- YES, or he would not be confined to one ROOM? Have you taken him to the vet to make sure he does not have a UTI? Put pee pads around the litter boxes so that if he misses (sometimes cats do) you won't have to scrub the floor. ^_^