Cat having aggressive fits

When someone gets near my cat at certain times, usually when he is lying down or sitting somewhere, he will meow loudly and bite/attack anyone near him. What is going on?

Asked by Member 1181066 on Jan 11th 2014 Tagged biting, aggression in Aggression

Answers

Was he a rescue? With adopted animals we have no idea of what happened to them before, so there is a chance that your cat was jumped or kicked while he was lying down in a former cat life and remembers it instinctually. If your cat's ears are back or his hind is up like he is going to pounce, that is not a good time to approach. If you learn the body language of your cat, you will come to know that the best times to try and give some attention are when he asks or when he is napping. I have a scaredy cat who sometimes jumps if she doesn't see me coming. You can also approach with a treat; most pets are amenable to a favorite flavor snack. Try new Greenies flavor fusion in salmon/chicken or tuna/ocean fish mix. They clean teeth AND are my kitties' favorite! ^_^

I think there is any bevavioral problem with your cat. You should consult with the vet as onle then can resolve this problem.

Spencer

Have him checked to make sure he doesn't have something like Triaditis or fatty liver. Our kitty would do that & we found out he was hurting & afraid someone was going to touch his stomach.
I don't say this to worry you, but if you have that ruled out then you can concentrate on other things.
Could I ask...are his meows aggressive sounding or just loud happy 'yahoo' meows?

~Ginger, Spencers mom

Spencer answered on 1/14/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tequila

I'm not one to jump and say "go to the vet!" but I would say a quick check up with some blood work might be a good idea. They have no way of explaining what's bugging them and he could be lashing out due to pain or discomfort.

Tequila answered on 1/14/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer