Cat has swollen lower lip, PICS

My almost 1 year old male orange tabby has a swollen lower lip. It has gotten worse over the last 2 days. I will take him to the vet, however I haven't yet and was wondering if anyone has opinions. It looks serious to me but I don't know if I am over obsessing. He eats Friskies wet food 2x daily and 9Lives dry food. We have 2 medium sized dogs that he plays with but they are all very gentle together so I do not think it is a wound from them. He is an indoor cat but occasionally gets to go outside and walk around with the dogs when I am watching him, but he gets scared and is never out for more than a few minutes. Other than that he is indoor only, so I also do not think it is a bug bite or sting. Opinions??
PICTURES: web.mac.com

Asked by Member 1019547 on Jan 16th 2011 Tagged swollen, lower, lip, cat, health in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

W/o actually seeing his lip and looking for puncture marks, it's difficult to tell what it might be. It could be an insect bite, especially if you live in a warmer part of the country where bugs are prevalent all year. It could even be an infected gum that is making his lip swell. As far as being bitten by an insect outside, it could have happened indoors as well. Your best bet is to take him to the vet's. Don't ever feel you are "obsessing" when something isn't right with one of your animals. You aren't--you are just being a good, responsible pet owner!

Chelsea

Well, from looking at the pictures, I see that he has white fur on his chin. Does he appear to have feline acne? That would look like black specks in the fur on his chin and along the lips.(like black heads)Other cats can get it too but my white faced girls seem to be more sensitive. Chelsea has that which is usually harmless enough but it started to get infected when I hadn't been cleaning it often enough and she got a fat lip that was really similar to his. I cleared hers up with some acne shampoo I got from the vet. But if he has that, scrubbing his chin clean, even with just antibacterial soap will help until you can talk to the vet. Please be sure that you are not using plastic bowls for his water or food because those cause bacteria to grow. Stainless steel is best and you should wash them frequently. Even if that is all it is, it can be pretty serious if left untreated and may affect his ability to eat so a trip to the vet is in order.

Chelsea answered on 1/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer