Cat got out 3 days ago and came back day later. Has long cut on her head, not bleeding anymore. Afraid she has rabies D:

My cat got out 3 days ago and came back 2 days ago, but with a big, long cut on her forehead, about an inch and a half long. I'm afraid she has rabies, because I've seen a cat hanging around in my backyard. Please help! Does a cut like this pose a risk of rabies? I'm really freaking out because my Winkie is my baby girl! D: Please help me! I've put a ton of Neosporin on it so far, but I don't know what else to do yet. :(

Asked by Member 1063046 on Oct 12th 2011 Tagged rabies in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Quindim

Her vaccines are up dated? If so, you should worry about rabies. But, even thought, you should bring her to the vet. This kind of cut could infect easily, and she might need an antibiotics.

Go to the vet, talk to him/her, and bring with you her vaccination card, so the vet could know what he is dealing with.

Good luck! Remember: You must go to the vet with her!!!!

Quindim answered on 10/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Joey

Please take your baby to the vet. As long as her rabies vaccines are up to date that should not be a concern. If you feel the cat hanging around your house may have rabies please contact animal control immediately. In the meantime - please do not put any more Neosporin on the cut - your cat should not ingest this product and if she is grooming she may have ingested some. Please see the vet - and please keep your baby indoors. Good luck.

Joey answered on 10/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hannah

Unless you know your town is currently having a highly unusual outbreak rabies is not at all common in North America these days, and if your Winkie has been vaccinated against anything it was probably rabies. Your main concerns should be- is the wound at risk for an infection? Did she pick up any parasites- fleas or worms? And if there are other cats out there and you think she may have been bitten could she have contracted a much more prevalent virus like FIV or Feline Leukemia Virus?

Depending on the severity of the cut your vet may want to put her on a round of antibiotics and check her over to see if they want to test for anything she may have contracted. That way you can have some peace of mind.

Hannah answered on 10/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer