Cat eating litter after being spayed.

We started our kitten on corn husk litter because we had read of potential hazards with clumping clay. After a few months of observation we knew she was not a litter eater and switched to a particular brand of clay that was recommended for odour control. No problems. Today she was spayed. We were not told until she was discharged in the evening that clay can be bad for the healing wound. It was a bit late for shopping so we thought we'd get by for one night on clay. Not only is she unable to pee but she has now begun EATING the litter! Big mouthfuls too! My husband ran out to pick up something safer from the only pet store still open but why is this happening? Why can't she pee and why is she eating litter? Are these two things related?

Asked by Member 1174920 on Nov 9th 2013 Tagged litter, spaying, recovery, urination in Behavior & Training

Answers

She may be out of it from the anasthesia still. Why did they not keep her overnight for observation... that is standard. Paper litter is best (in pellets) after a spay or declaw- try that. Also show her where her food and water is to reacclimate her with her sorroundings. If she tries to eat another type of litter or her poop, a call to the vet is definitely in order. A spay is not outpatient surgery so I'm not sure why she's home yet. ^_^

Hi, first off I'm not an expert, but I thought the vet was supposed to keep them until they peed once before sending them home. I've had some issues with my kitties because when they were spayed the vet did not send home pain medicine. After 1.5 days one of my kitties started peeing on my bed to let me know she was in pain. I ran her back to the vet to make sure she was ok, and they said she was doing it out of pain. They gave me pain meds twice more but the behavior became ingrained. Now, nearly a year later I still have to keep a close eye on her when she gets on my bed. I would recommend calling your vet and having them check her. The fact that she's not peeing concerns me that she is at the very least in pain. Of course, some pain meds like (opiates in particular) can make it more difficult to pee. I hope this was helpful.