cat behavior

How can I get one of my cats to leave the Christmas tree alone? I have tried water squirting, loud noises...I'm not proud of this but even chasing him through the house. He has gotten really good at hiding and watching me to see when my attention is on something else then he goes in for the kill. I've already only decorated the top half of my tree-it looks a little pathetic-I'm just really at the end of my rope. His brother doesn't do this. He just sits back and watches the show. I'm thinking about filling the water bottle with half vinegar-hell with the smell-and trying that. Anything else I could try other than making my house smell like a pickle?

Asked by Member 1076805 on Dec 11th 2011 Tagged christmastrees, cats, badbehavior in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Not only your house but your cat as well, and if you get the vinegar in his eyes, you'll be on your way up to the vet's. This is a time-honored tradition here on Answers. Cats love to climb. They love shiny things. If you have a real tree, it smells wonderful, like little creatures! To be honest, short of leashing your cat or putting the tree in another room and shutting the door, there is no way you can keep him out of it. I've tried. My cats tag team leap from chairs into the tree. Buy plastic ornaments. I'd be willing to buy a ticket to see you chasing this little stinker around the house!!! 8-)

Please don't spray your cat with vinegar. To do so would be cruel. Each cat is an individual, with his or her own personality, quirks, and interests. Just because your other cat doesn't have an interest in the tree doesn't mean this one won't. It's perfectly normal for a cat to be interested in a giant, shiny, nice-smelling, climbable toy in the middle of the room, and a toy is probably exactly what he sees!

If you click over to Forums, there is a thread about this topic. Some members report success with Sssscat, which as I understand is a can of pressurized air with a motion detector.

Harvard

When in doubt, do without a tree. The stress incurred by cat vs. tree is not worth it when it becomes a war. Consider a wall tree. Or a treeless Christmas. My childhood cat ate lead tinsel, drank preservative tree water, and lived to be eighteen. My mother never worried about it. Having a war with your cat during the Christmas season sounds like too much stress. The Christmas season is about love. A truism, I know. You have had excellent advice from other posters. Do consider the fact that living with cats can change your lifestyle. And do plug into the seasonal topics in the Forums. You will find additional answers there. But honestly, cat training is about human training. Dogs may be different.

Harvard answered on 12/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer