Gizmo

Can you use frontline plus for dogs on cats? My aunt can buy from her vet for dogs and splits it up in doses.

Asked by Gizmo on Nov 6th 2010 in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

No! Your aunt should purchase the correct FrontLine for cats according to their weight and age. I have had experience in the past where my cat had seizures within 24 hours of application of FrontLine. The manufacturer said it was coincidental. I don't think so! I now use Advantage or Revolution and have had no ill effects on three (3) cats that I apply monthly flea medication to. One cat is an outdoor elderly stray who I keep in my laundry room at night. The others are my indoor cats. None of the cats has ever had seizures from Advantage or Revolution. Tell your aunt to stop splitting doses. She may be doing her cats more harm than good by using the wrong FrontLine flea med.

Depending on which Internet site you look at, some say it's OK and some say "NO WAY, it's POISON!" Personally, I would not use Frontline for dogs on my cats. There is a difference in formulation and one site said what works on a dog might not work as well on a cat. At one point I had 3 dogs and 3 cats and bought the right drops for the right species. I just wouldn't take a chance since the information on how safe it is to do this is not very reliable. If I tried it an something happened to one of my animals because of something I did I'd never forgive myself.

I have always heard that you should never use dog flea treatment on a cat & vice versa.

Dahlia

I don't know about Frontline but it is okay to use REGULAR Advantage (like this www.petcarerx.com ) on cats. Do NOT use Advantage Multi (prevents heartworms, intestinal parasites, & earmites as well) and do NOT use AdvantiX. My vet sells me Advantage for dogs and would put a label on the front telling how much to dose. He would then send me home with syringes to measure the dosing. You have to be careful when doing this and I recommend that you get correct dosing instructions from a veterinarian.

Dahlia answered on 11/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer