Can you teach a cat and dog to get along if the dog hasn't been raised around cats and wants to get it?

Asked by Member 1083213 on Jan 9th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats and dogs are not natural enemies. The cat doesn't see the dog as "a dog" and visa versa. It's just an invader of their territory. If the dog is already showing predatory instincts toward the cat do NOT under ANY circumstances leave them alone together. Always provide a safe place for the cat to get away from the dog. I have a predatory Shepherd/Husky mix that I don't trust farther than I can see her with my newest cat, Lizzie. For some reason, she doesn't chase Izzie much, but I know if she ever caught Lizzie, it would not end well. I could never have a kitten because of my dog. On the other hand, my other dog thinks she's a cat and has no reaction to any of my 3. I'm not sure you CAN teach predatory instincts out of a dog. When introducing 2 cats, you can keep them separated from each other, but this would only make the dog more determined to 'get at' the cat. Yelling at or striking the dog isn't the way to do it. These are natural instincts, tens of thousands of years old.