Can white cats get sunburned?

Hi everyone!
I have a white indoor cat that sometimes likes to sleep by the window in the sun. Is this bad for him? Also is it bad for his eyes? I've heard that white cats have sensitive eyes. Is this true?

Thanks for any info you can provide. :)

Asked by Member 555315 on Jan 19th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

White outdoor cats can get skin cancer from the sun wherever their fur is very short. Our Teddie got skin cancer on his ear and the Vet had to remove one ear. He also has little cancers started on his other ear and his nose but he is 18 years old and has other health problems. The Dr. said to use a sun blocker made for babies but that is easier said than done. Teddie is still as goofy as ever and has a good appetite inspite of slight seizures and tremors.

You indoor cat can't get a sunburn through the window and if it is too bright for him he'll just close his eyes. I've heard that white blue-eyed cats carry a gene that makes them deaf. Our Teddie is an "odd-eyed" cat....one blue and one yellow.

One of our dogs used to lie (lay?) in the window for hours at a time. She didn't get sunburned, but when she got out of the window, she'd stagger around and act goofy. I believe it was from the heat. I'd worry more about heatstroke than sunburn. But yes, if you have skin, you can get sunburned. But it's more likely to happen outside than in through a window.

NATASHA

Any animal can get a sunburn, as long as it has skin. Even my iguana has gotten a burn on her head and nose from being too close to the heat/sun lamp. I'm all black and I got a small cancer on my nose and tips of my ears THROUGH the bedroom window 2 summers ago, before my dad got the windows replaced with new ones that have a coating on them. Glass blocks the UVB rays (burning rays) but does not block the UVA rays, which are the ones that cause damage to the dermis tissues. Even though all my cancers are gone now, meowmie only lets me sit in the windows with the windows shut. She only opens the windows that don't let the sun shine directly in them. Hope this helps!

NATASHA answered on 1/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category