Oliver (Ollie)

Can someone tell me why i have been peeing on my owner's roommates stuff. Why?

i only pee on her roommates stuff.

Asked by Oliver (Ollie) on Apr 9th 2008 Tagged urine, pee, roommate in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Hunter

Before assuming a behavioral problem you MUST have the urine checked for UTI. the behavior will continue no matter what you try unless the infection is cleared up first. Please schedule an appointment with your vet to rule this out before trying any behavior modification.

Hunter answered on Apr 10th.

Answers

There could be a number of reasons. If the roomate's "stuff" smells like another animal, the cat could be marking it's territory. The cat doesn't know that the other animal isn't around (or is it?) Cats pee to mark their territory as well as relieving themselves. The #1 reason cats pee outside the box is because they have a bladder/kidney infection, so make sure that's not an issue by taking it to the vet's. Also, make sure the the cat's box is very, very clean. I dump my litter once a week, scrub the box with Pine-sol, rinse very well and replace with new litter. You can use "Cat Attract" litter although I've never heard if it actually works. Make sure the box is where the cat is comfortable using it. Cats like privacy when they "go" (dont we ALL?) so if it's in a high traffic area, that could also be a reason. If your housemate has their own room, tell them to close the door and keep their stuff out of the cat's way.

It is not uncommon for cats to pee on stuff when there is an upset in the house. Your kitty may be upset about having a new roommate, marking his/her territory to let the roommate know that this is their house. You should encourage your roommate to establish a relationship with your kitty. Your roommate could pet, play, or brush your kitty and give it treats when it comes into the roommates room. It could be something your roommate did, or just jealousy over you spending less time with him/her. You could try "Feliway" (I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it works). It is a plug in air-freshener that puts off cat pheromones to help calm your kitty. They have it at Petsmart.

Cats will pee in unusual places for health reasons also. If it is a urinary tract infection, your kitty may seem to pee more often then normal, and smaller amounts than usual. The urine is most often dark and may have a strong odor. Try to see if your kitty is straining to potty or if they seem painful.