Can someone help me find a way to introduce moist food to my new kitty? She will be 2yo in July.

I adopted her 2 weeks ago, and the shelter told me she only eats dry food. I heard an all dry diet is no good for cats, but she won't touch moist. Does anyone have a sugestion for me introduce her to moist?

Asked by Member 1167177 on Apr 25th 2013 in Methods of Training

Answers

I've always said I want to take my cats to the grocery with me, open cans of wet food and ask, "You like this one? How about THIS one?" and chances are what they approve of one day they won't eat the next. You can try feeding her tiny spoonfulls until you find one she likes. It's not so much that an all-dry diet isn't good for cats, it's that cats don't drink enough water and wet food is about 90% water. I have an automatic waterer for my cats, a "Drinkwell" tabletop. I also have a bowl of water next to it for them. And, Lizzie and Izzie also drink out of the dogs' water fountain on the floor. I know they're well hydrated from the urine clumps in the boxes. What to feed is a hotly contested topic here on Catster. You can get more suggestions by going to the orange "community" tab on the right and clicking on 'forums'. There are a bunch of food forums where you can share feeding ideas and ask questions.