Can my cat sense when i am sad or angry?

Recently i was upset and started crying, my cat ran up and sat next to me on the couch. Then she waited for me to pet her. I think she can sense my feelings but all of my friends said they doubted it. Did she know i was sad, or just thought i was acting differently?

Asked by Member 995513 on Jul 3rd 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

CHARLEY BLEAU EYES

Our Mom says we always know what's going on, often before she does. And we always sense how she's feeling. Cats love to snuggle when you're feeling low or sick.

This may not be scientific but WE know it's true.

CHARLEY BLEAU EYES answered on 7/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey

An emphatic YES! My cat Joey is not physically affectionate - he does not like to be handled or petted - however, if I am stressed or upset - he will claw at me to get on my lap! The best example of this is when I am on the phone - if I raise my voice or start to cry - he will climb (all 20 lbs of him), climb up my leg to get on my lap and mew at me. They know when your voice or demeanor changes something is wrong and react to that. I give him a reassuring pet and "it's okay, mama's okay" and he calms right down.

Joey answered on 7/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Panda

Definitely! They know more about us than we could possibly imagine, and they understand our emotions and well-being better than anyone else. There are so many documented cases and examples of this. In the time that I have had my cats, I have become disabled. They can tell when I am feeling good and when I am in pain, and treat me differently depending upon that. Heck, they even sit on my "good side" so that it is easier for me to handle them. They are really amazing and want to make us happy, as your kitty tried to do for you. If your friends are doubting it, then they are just jealous because they don't have anyone who cares for them the way your kitty obviously cares for you, hehe :)

Panda answered on 7/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer