Heidi

Can my cat become a therapy cat?

I was thinking of having my cat become a therapy cat. She is still somewhat a kitten though, but she is extremely affectionate and I started clicker training her a few weeks ago. Theses are the tricks she knows- sit, stay, come, beg, high five, down, up, twirl, close the door, fetch and walking with a leash. She does meow alot though and she can be a little shy to strangers, but she warms up in a just a few minutes. Do you think she could become a therapy cat. And if so how do I get to become one. Another thing I'm worried about is scratching. She is not a cat to scratch, but it's not like she will never ever scratch no matter what you do. How can I socialized my cat more and teach her to not scratch no matter what?

Asked by Heidi on Sep 8th 2013 in Socialization

Answers

You sound like a GREAT cat pawrent! Do some online research for pet therapy organizations. One that comes to mind is Pet Partners. You can ask your vet or contact local nursing/rehab facilities for whom they might use. They can fill you in on what sort of pet personality they're looking for in a cat. They will evaluate your kitty to see if she meets their criteria. Good luck!

Vinny (DIT #21)

My cat Vinny is a certified Therapy Cat with Love On A Leash www.loveonaleash.org see their website for details on how to get certified. You can still get certified even if no chapter in your area. Vinny also wears Soft Paws nail cats as a precaution, although he is very good with his claws.

Therapy cats must have calm, laid back and steady personalities. They must be able to tolerate unusual sights, sounds, smells, and petting that may be awkward or hard. They must be able to travel in a car calmly, and without getting car sick. They must accept wearing a harness and leash. They must be at least one year of age and up to date on vaccinations. Most importantly, they must love people and enjoy being petted by people other than the owner. Reactive pets (who react before thinking) will not be good therapy pets.

Vinny (DIT #21) answered on 9/10/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer