Can I use human eye drops for my kitten's eye?Cause my kitten has some kind of problem. PLEASE READ THE DETAILS. For mor

My mom said to use it cause we have more delicate eyes. But I'm not sure. My kittens eye is also having lots of slimy stuff in its eye's and its always being closed up by the slimy green stuff, when she sleeps and whenever she closes it. And her eyes are always having slimy stuff on top of it and If i wipe it- her eyes turn white or she closest them but her eyelid doesn't close with it. What do you think is this problem is and should I use it human eye drops for her??

Asked by Member 548419 on Jun 30th 2009 Tagged kitten, kittenseye, yellowgreeneyes, slimystuff, swolleneye, eye, eyes, greenslimeoneye, humandrops, eyedrops in Health & Wellness

Answers

NO do NOT use human eye drops on her. You can blind her or even poison her if she licks it off. No human medication should ever be used for a cat as most would have fatal long term affects if not immediate. Your kitten most likely has an eye infection. She needs to see a vet for antibiotic eye ointment made for cats. There is nothing in human eye drops that would cure an infection even if they were not dangerous to use.

No, NEVER use human medications of any sort on a cat or kitten! Please, just take the kitten to a vet. It may have a severe eye infection. You wouldn't want the poor thing to lose its sight would you? The best thing to do is get her to a vet ASAP, especially since she has a slimy green discharge. That's definitely a sign of an infection going on.

Allie and Guest are absolutely right. You should never use human medication for cats or dogs. Something like Advil given to a cat is fatal. It's quite possible that your cat has conjunctivitis (pinkeye). Did you know that if it is pinkeye, you can get it from your cat? It's important that you wash your hands thoroughly whenever you touch your cat. This is an infection that can only be cured by a vet's prescription salve. Untreated, it can spread to both eyes and eventually result in blindness. Even if human eyedrops were OK for your cat, they don't have antibiotics in them and would be useless to cure the infection. Antibiotics are not expensive, and you owe it to your kitty to take her to her doctor's and get checked out.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

No, you should NEVER use human medications on an animal (unless advised by a vet). Animals are not humans and you could seriously harm your kitten by using human medications. Your kitten sounds like she has an eye infection. Eye infections can be extremely uncomfortable and can cause damage if not treated. She needs to go to a vet ASAP to be examined by a veterinarian and get proper medical treatment. You are responsible for this kitten and owe that to her. Purrs, and hope she feels better soon.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 6/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gracie

Like everyone else said, NEVER EVER EVER (I know, all caps, but I really want to stress this) give a cat any over the counter med meant for humans. Honestly it sounds like she has an eye infection, which means that she should go to a vet so that she can be given proper medication.

Gracie answered on 6/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Spike

Eye infections are common in cats. They are easily and cheaply treated by a visit to your vet. I don't know about the vet fee, but the eye med fee is CHEAP. However, your vet has to figure out if it's a viral or bacterial infection--which obviously means different kinds of medications. Look up cat eye infections on the Internet, and if the photos you see don't make you want to vomit, then you don't really care about your cat's health. But I assume you do. So go to your vet. It sounds like your kitty has an upper respiratory infection, but that's just an amateur guess. These are common in kittens, particularly those born in multicat environments. In my case, Chibi had a URI that was probably Herpes. She's fine now...but. Spike gets the occasional bacterial infection--which in his case, seems to have some sort of emotional component. He got eye problems and urinary problems before and after I had major surgery--and is fine now. But--go to the vet. We care.

Spike answered on 7/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hunter

NO NO NO NO
Your mom should be ashamed for telling you to use medicines on your cat that hasn't been looked at by a vet. How does she know we have more delicate eyes (which by the way is NOT TRUE). Would she tell you to just take a medicine if you didn't know what was causing the ailment. Eye problems should ALWAYS be treated as an emergency. There could be a scratch (very painful) or a bacterial infection or something stuck in there. Your vet needs to examine the eye to determine the cause and then Rx the appropriate medicines. If your cat has a scratch for instance, some medicines can actually cause more problems. The longer you wait on theis the more $$ it will cost as well as more damage being done to the eye. Take the cat in TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I mean now. Since you have waited you'll need to go in to an emergency clinic to get this treated ASAP!
By the way, NEVER give an meds to your cat without consulting a vet first Some things like Tylenol can actually be fatal

Hunter answered on 7/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

OMG are you guys just guessing and giving her answers or are you VETS? Because if you are just guessing, you are doing a horrible service to people who google this problem everywhere.

Let me explain. I was having this problem with an orphaned kitten I found outside. I googled and found conflicting information so I called the NO KILL cat shelter here in Tucson who told me:

It's probably an upper respiratory infection. You CAN use visine as long as it's not the kind for contacts - eyes only. This is directly from an animal shelter not random people on the internet. SO - my advice is to call the vet and ask them directly instead of listening to people you don't know who may or may not know what they are talking about.

Before ppl go berserk about not using human medicine on pets I will suggest checking the medicine component of both pet medicine and human medicine.
A common eye ointment for cats is Terramycin basically a tetracycline. If you'd check there is a similar one for Humans containing tetracycline!!!
So I wonder if in reality it is such a big issue using human medicine on cats or dogs?? I guess dosage is important. Maybe use one which is for children of smaller ages.
I seriously think this is a rumor spread by pet industry to increase their sales.