Miza

can I give vitamins to my cat while she is pregnant

I'm very worried because she had a baby 2 months ago ( just one and the first time for her) and now she is pregnant again, she is very skinny now. She got pregnant quickly. I wanted to sterilize my cat but she didn't wait. I had to wait 2 months for sterilization. I think that she is ok, she eats well, play and everything normal, but skinny and less hair too. I feel not good at all!!

Asked by Miza on May 10th 2009 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

You can but make sure they are vitamins for cats and not human ones or they could make her sick. I've used a brand called Nu-Cat by Vetri-Science before that were good.

Cats use about twice the normal calories when they are pregnant and 3 times as much when they are nursing kittens which is why they tend to lose weight. The best thing is to feed her as much kitten food as she'll eat as it has more fat/protein/calories and will help her gain/maintain weight. You can also give her KMR (kitten replacement milk) if you can get it locally.

If you can keep her inside when she has the kittens you'll be able to get her sterilised once the kittend are weaned. As you know they can get pregnant again while they are still nursing their kittens and you can only really stop that by keeping her inside and away from male cats until you can get her fixed.

Your kitty is having babies too often and too fast. Because she only had one baby, she may have some difficulties with pregnancies which makes the situtation even worse. You can take her to the vet and if she is not too far along in her pregnancy, the vet can perform a sterilzation now. If your cat continues to be a "kitten factory", she will live a short, unhealthy life.