T.C.

Can I give my (4 1/2yrs) Penicillin (500mg people tablets) & what about Gabapentin (100mg people capsules)for pain?

It'll be a couple weeks (2-3) til I can take him to a vet, he has a bad (abcess?) tooth & is hurting/in pain.

Asked by T.C. on Feb 5th 2012 in Medications

Answers

No - you should NEVER give you cat any medications without your vet's okay! People meds can be toxic to cats. People meds are also human strength - cat doses are generally much smaller. The vet may also feel that completely different medications would be best for your cat.

I'm sorry, but your kitty NEEDS to see a vet ASAP! If money is an issue, talk to your vet and see if they will work out a payment plan. Or you can apply for Care Credit. www.carecredit.com
Hope your kitty feels better soon!

I'm glad our friend Linus took the time to answer this for you b/c I was too busy jumping up and down and shouting "NO NO NO!!!" Never play Jr. Vet with your animals!!! I don't know of any vet who will refuse to see a sick cat. I know that you want to help your cat, especially when he's in pain, but honestly, you could kill him. Some medications made for humans can be toxic and fatal to our animal friends. Advil/Aleve/Motrin is one. If you do have a vet, call them and politely explain what's going on. Ask them if they can please see him asap. If your cat has been a fairly regular patient and they know you are a good cat parent and just a little fiancially strapped now, they won't refuse to see you.