Can I feed my cats beef or chicken broth?

One of my cats has a history of a urinary track infection and I worry he is not drinking enough.

Asked by Member 801272 on Feb 6th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Most commercial broths contain onions or garlic that are poisonous to cats but you can easily make your own broth. The easiest is to just to get some chicken backs which are very cheap and cook them well with just water (no salt or anything else added). You can pick off the chicken meat as a meal and save the broth for him.

Feeding wet/canned rather than dry food can help cats get enough water. Water fountains also encourage them to drink more.

Sassy (2001-2012) answered on Feb 6th.

Answers

As long as you choose the low sodium low fat beef or chicken broth, he can have some of that. However, feeding canned food is also a good source of water. Or you could try buying a cat drinking fountain for him. Many cats love drinking from a moving water source. My own love water and I use a ceramic bowl to keep it cooler. I also refill it with fresh water several times a day and sometimes add an ice cube which they love.

Cow and Bahji

If you want to give him broth I agree with the poster that said to make your own. Even low sodium broths have a LOT of salt in them (just look at the lable) Also canned broth may have flavorings that are not so good for kitty. In addition to canned food you can also give him the liquid from a can of tuna when you make something with tuna for dinner, my cats love it and give me kisses with fishy breath.
I also like the idea of a pet fountain, more appealing to some cats.
Purina Healthful Life dry cat food has cranberry in it which helps prevent UTI's. If you choose to switch to this food do so slowly by adding a little to his current food increasing the ratio each day. A sudden change in food can cause serious tummy troubles.

Cow and Bahji answered on 2/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer