can cats be taught not to jump, or are some cats non-jumpers

Asked by Member 544264 on Dec 31st 2007 in Behavior & Training

Answers

~Cloudy Elizabeth~

Jumping is an instinct behavior in cats. In the wild, they jump to trees, on rocks, and jump(sometimes) to catch their prey. It really depends on the individual cat--how old, how active--I wouldn't scold a cat for jumping. Rather, scold it for being "on the counter" or someplace else you don't want it. Jumping itself is a natural behavior in cats.

~Cloudy Elizabeth~ answered on 12/31/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

CE is absolutely right. Teaching a cat not to jump is like trying to teach a bird not to fly. It's just what they DO! On the other hand, cats can be disciplined with love, of course. NEVER hit a cat or push it off a counter or someplace you don't want it to be. Spray bottles work with most cats (but my Maine Coon mix LOVES water so it doesn't work with him.) Some cats just don't get on the counters. Only two of my daughter's five are counter surfers. If you provide plenty of toys on the floor and opportunities to watch cat television from someplace other than your counters, then you shouldn't have a problem with cat hair in your soup. 8o)

Morgana - forever my soul

Momma's friend (who used to do cat rescue for years) told her that Siamese are incredible jumpers. Momma thinks it's possible that other Oriental cats or those with long slim, lithe bodies are also very good jumpers.

While all cats can jump well, those with shorter stockier bodies aren't normally as high in their leaps as the slim ones. Hopefully, someone with British shorthair or Persian cats will tell you if they jump high. But any cat, who's determined to get somewhere will generally find a way if possible. Cats are just naturally curious & if they think there's something they want, they'll persist in finding it. I know I don't give up easily. ;-)

BTW, I'm only 7 lb & my brother, Mozza, is almost 12 lb but I can jump higher than him. I have a little Siamese in me & Momma wonders if that's why I'm better at it.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 12/31/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

ishtar *proud wobnapt*

I do not really understand this question?!

Ishtar does not jump too much and it took me quite a time to encourage her to jump at all. Having a second, third or more levels is especially for indoor cats absolute important... My girl had a little behavioral handicap as she spent many weeks of her kittenhood in the shelter's hospital in a small cage and had no chance to learn using her muscles. Because of that she was afraid of jumping both high and wide. This is not what one should wish for a kitty...

If the topic is: cat shouldn't be allowed to jump on certain places (like the ones before me answered) it's a question of making these places not attractive for a cat. If the question is meant literally you better think of having a ground-based pet like a rabbit.

ishtar *proud wobnapt* answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer