Can anyone recommend good pet insurance for Monmouth co. NJ? Possible delicate surgery for ear polyp in the future.

The surgery is not imminent. The polyp is causing only minimal discomfort at the moment. But it's growing up, which the vet said is harder and more delicate to remove. The surgery will only happen if it starts affecting the ear badly. But we want to be covered in case.

Asked by Member 275205 on Mar 7th 2011 Tagged petinsurance in Pet Insurance

Answers

I use Trupanion and have been pretty happy with them. However... virtually all pet insurances would consider the ear polyp and and any future treatment or surgery "pre-existing" and not reimburse as the condition was noted and existing prior to enrollment and policy activation. You could still sign her up for a pet insurance policy in case other health issues arise later. I'd start saving for her potential surgery now though as pet insurance will not help you with anything pre-existing.

Just as the former poster stated, your cat has a pre-existing condition. Any insurance company you apply to will ask for your cat's veterinarian records. Pre-existing conditions are not covered for at least three (3) years. Pet insurance should be purchased when you get a pet or shortly thereafter while the pet is still young, not after it starts getting ailments. I pay $219 per year for one (1) cat and have a $50.00 deductible with Pet Plan Insurance. It is the best I have found and they did pay for my cat's dental surgery because she needed two teeth extracted (even though dental exams are not covered). I have passed the word along about Pet Plan Insurance to my veterinarian and her staff. I hope your kitty gets better.

I agree with the others regarding the pre-existing condition. My Kira had polyps removed from her ears and a bullae osteotomy 2 years ago and VPI denied it all as pre-existing even though I had purchased my policy right when I got her as a kitten. The surgeon even wrote up appeal documentation that it was not related to a URI that she had just before the effective date but they denied everything. I dropped VPI and now I direct deposit part of my paycheck into a special "kitty account" so I can be prepared for big vet expenses.