Can a kitten still be teething excessively past 6 months of age? Or is this related to something else?

My kitten is 8 months old now and still chews on literally everything (including my arm) for extensive periods of time, and quite aggressively. I've had tons of kittens, but have never seen this behavior become so bad. Is it possible this could be related to something else if not teething?

Asked by Member 1067999 on Nov 2nd 2011 Tagged teething, badbehavior in Behavior & Training

Answers

By the age of 8 months, your kitten should have her full set of adult teeth. Of course there are exceptions, but I would hazard a guess that's not what the issue is here. Biting or gnawing on one's human is not acceptable b/c at some point, your kitten may choose the wrong human, and if she is an adult, could inflict pain and injury. It's time to start teaching her right from wrong. Do not allow her to use you as a chew toy. Remove her and walk away. She'll get the idea you're not pleased. Supply her with plenty to do--safe chew toys, etc. My Lizzie is an "oral" cat and she loves the tops from medicine bottles, ping-pong balls, etc. When she decided my cell phone cover was also "her's", I told her "leave it!" in a stern voice and now she does. Provide crunchy cat treats and cruncy kitten dry food for her. And supervise her carefully as she may start including electrical wires!