can a cat be on 2.5 mg of prednisone every other day for life?

Bailey has an inner ear infection, vet put him on 5mg of prednisone 2x daily for 5 days and then 1/2 of a tab every other day for life he said.. Can this harm my Bailey? Thanks in advance, and love this site.. Very helpful to myself and my 2 wonderful cats...

Asked by Member 822951 on Apr 4th 2009 Tagged prednisone in Health & Wellness

Answers

Here on Catster, we usually don't disagree with what a vet says unless it's so outrageous that it bears our outrage. However, Bailey is on the second lowest dosage available for kitties. With careful monitoring, especially of his liver function, he should be perfectly OK. Keep an eye out for excessive thirst, vomiting lethargy and diahrrea or any other changes in appetite, etc. and keep a close relationship with your vet. Whenever your vet wants to schedule a check-up, take Bailey in just to make sure everything is in working order.

Hunter

I'm not sure why your vet would want him to stay on pred for life. It's a steroid with anti-inflammatory properties. Once your ear has healed you should be able to wean Bailey completely off the pred. Ask your vet WHY Bailey needs it for life. With that being said, many cats are on pred for life (cancer, ibd, etc). Careful monitoring of liver function as well as glucose are imperative if a cat is on long term pred.

Hunter answered on 4/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Kira

Are you positive that the vet said it was for life? The dosage is the same as what Kira had after surgery for polyps in her inner ear and eustachain tube but the half a pill was until the bottle was empty. It's a "step down" from the full dose to wean them off safely. If you are treating an ear infection, it seems similar to the reason Kira was taking it. I would definitely ask the vet for more details and ask why Bailey would need it for life and what tests they plan to do to monitor that. I usually find it helpful to write down all my questions that I need to ask my vet. Any time you walk away with doubts about a treatment, you have not been given enough info.

Kira answered on 4/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer