Bringing home a 3rd cat

I have 2 cats both almost a year and a half old. First cat (female) we had for 3 months then decided to get a playmate from a shelter (male) and it has worked out beautifully they are best friends. But, the female is a lot less active now than the male and we find the male playing by itself most now. We are considering bringing home a 3rd kitten. We were told that bringing home another male would be fine but I am still a little cautious. Can someone please give me some advice?
Thank you! Teresa

Asked by Member 764109 on Nov 6th 2008 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Moses

I have all sorts of siblings at my house--8 of us altogether--and we are all different ages, and we all get along. Mom thinks the best and quickest way to introduce a new cat, after lots of trial and error is this: Scour the garage sales, etc., and find a 4' x 4' baby playpen--the kind w/ the mesh sides. Set it up and turn it upside down in whatever room the family is in the most. Put under it a soft blanket, food, water, toys--everything the newcomer needs--along w/ the newcomer. He can see out all 4 sides, and neither him nor your other cats will be hurt. Of course, the first stop I would always do is to take the newcomer to the vets to be sure you're not passing on anything contagious. You will find w/ the playpen that the cats will get all this hissing and spitting out of the way, and then you can start some "supervised visits." Expect your existing cats to get territorial, but they do get over it. You need to give it time and be sure they're all safe til they're friends.

Moses answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have a male cat who I rescued from outdoors (Izzie) and a female, age 3yrs. that i adopted from a shelter. I recently adopted another female (18 mos) that I adopted from a shelter. No matter what you adopt, it's going to take some time for resident kitties to accept the newcomer. You know you need to keep the newcomer separate from the residents. I've heard that if you take a sock and rub it all over the newcomer and then leave the sock where resident kitties can smell it, it works to accustom resident kitties to newcomer's scent. Resident female just may not be the playful type. My experience with females is that they are less playful than males, at least the ones I've had. Delilah plays when she feels like it, but only for a short time. Izzie plays all the time. Make sure you supervise playtime between residents and newcomer. There will be hissing and growling, but it should get better within a week or so. It did over here. Cats usually work things out among themselves!

As long as everyone is spayed/neutered it shouldn't make any difference if you bring home a male or female cat. The other posters advice about intros is good.

Lando

I have 3 male cats (ages: 7 mths, 1 1/2 years, and 2 years). And they all get along great. As for bringing in a third cat, just make sure that if you get a male, this cat is neutered (for a smaller chance of marking or spraying). A kitten or younger cat is probably the best choice in terms of energy level for your male cat. Seperation is the key...most cats aren't best friends or even able to tolerate each other with no aggression at first! It may be a slow process but after a couple weeks the cats will be able to tolerate each other and be able to begin that bond. Try things like seperating the new cat into it's own room (with own litter box, food, toys, and bed). Then let the cats sniff each other through the door, and get used to each others scent. You can also try rubbing a towel or blanket on the new cat and place it by your resident cats' beds or sleeping spots. This will allow them to be more comfortable with the new cat's scent. Just be patient and everything will work out fine

Lando answered on 11/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer