Munchkin

Bloody Nose?

Hey everyone,

Why does my cat have a bloody nose? He had a cold when I got him from the pound, and I gave him medication for a week or two, but he still has a runny nose with a little blood. Why is this and what should I do to help him?

Asked by Munchkin on Jan 20th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Morgana - forever my soul

I checked to see where you live on Munchkin's page but doesn't say. So if you live in a cold climate, it gets quite dry indoors in winter. The low humidity dries out nasal passages, making it more likely to bleed - in both cats & humans, specially if they just had a cold. It's already tender from the infection so bleeds easier.

It may take time for his cold to clear completely but in the meantime, increasing the humidity helps. Use a good humidifier. If you have a dishwasher, open the door to air-dry rather than using heat-dry. Even drying clothes on a clothes horse indoors helps - anything that adds moisture.

Buy baby saline drops & put a drop or two into each of Munchkin's nostrils. Cats don't mind this too much but hate nasal sprays. If you have vitamin E capsules, pierce one end with a needle & apply a little oil from it on the outside of his nose & the *tiniest* bit just barely inside his nostrils once a day for a few days. It helps heals the lining too, easing his discomfort.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on Jan 20th.

Answers

You don't mention what you gave Munchkin for his cold or whether you've taken him back to the vets to make sure his Upper Respiratory Infection has been cleared up. Was this actually diagnosed as an URI? If so, he really needs to go for a follow-up. There can be so many nasty little things growing and multiplying in shelters, and some of them take a while to 'germinate'. Is he sneezing? Are his eyes watery? Is he lethargic? He may have allergies. But as Morgana says, his nasal passages may just be dry, whether it's a URI or allergies. However, since there's blood, I would definitely check with your vet first.

Misty

From what I have seen bloody noses in kitties are either from excessive sneezing or a nasal polyp that is being irritated. Take him to the regular vet for a check up and see if they can use their opthalmascope to look up your babies nose and see if they see anything obvious. Xrays help show polyps too. If they feel its something serious they would probably refer you to a specialist for a rhinoscopy. Hopefully it won't go that far but your best bet is to let the vet figure it out!

Misty answered on 1/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer