Best Christmas kitty for a 9 yr old?

My 9yr old wants a cat for Christmas. We currently live in our own home in Florida with two smaller (mix) house dogs. Any suggestions? I hate excessive cat hair sheading.

Asked by Member 1142266 on Nov 25th 2012 in Kittens

Answers

Before you add a feline member to your family, make sure that you set ground rules for the child whose cat it will be. The cat must be fed, groomed, socialized, and played with all it's life, not just while the child is on Holiday Break. The box must be scooped daily and there's no reason a 9 year old can't do it with a little counselling on hand-washing. The cat needs to be vetted and fixed. You know your child and whether he or she is "up to the task" of accepting responsiblity for the cat. If the child has a history of losing interest in things quickly, I would tend to change my mind about getting him or her a cat. I would not adopt a cat during the Holidays. It's not a good time to bring in a new animal. Give a gift certificate with a stuffed cat and a promise to go after Christmas when things are less busy and the child has more time to devote to it. Go to a reputable shelter with the child and let them advise you on their cats. You can find area shelters at www.petfinder.com.