Behavior after amputation

I have two cats that always got along. Recently one if my cars was attacked by a dog and we had to amputate one of his hind legs. Since then, my cats have begun completely ingnoring each other. This isn't the problem. The problem is my female cat has refused to use the litter box. She's chosen to use a corner of the living room, no matter how many times we clean it. My now handicapped cat pees on bathroom rugs, clothes in laundry baskets, etc. even though the cat box is clean. My husband is at the point he wants to get rid of both of them. I don't know what to do, but this can't keep happening. My male (handicapped) cat I've had for ten years and spend a lot of money saving him after his attack. My female cat I rescued from a shelter about 5 years. Help me please?

Asked by Member 1212535 on Feb 22nd 2014 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Wiggles

You don't say how long your handicapped cat has been home from the vets. Often for the first week or so after coming home from the vets, a cat smells different than its normal self and this difference may be what your other cat is reacting to.

Ideally one should have a litter box for each cat plus one extra litter box. Add a second litter box. Most litter boxes sold in stores aren't big enough to suit cats. I use Rubbermaid type storage containers as litter boxes. These containers are 30 inches long & 18 inches tall. I cut a round hole in one end that's about 9 inches in diameter & 6 inches above the bottom of the box. My own handicapped cat is able to get into these boxes without a problem.

One way I've retrained cats to use a litter pan is by putting the cat in an extra large plastic dog crate with its food, water, and a plastic dishpan for a litter pan (a plastic dishpan makes an ideal litter pan for a crate). I release the cat after it uses litter consistently for 2 wks.

Wiggles answered on 3/4/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer