Cherry

Atrus, thanks for your response. But I do not think I mentioned in my post that am planning to buy a used cat tree :)

Also for your other response as to declawing, I just wanted to know if it was legal or illegal and wanted to know if there is something that I can do to stop that practice. you had asked me to own an apartment and not to rent!! :( I know in the heart of hearts you were trying to help, but sometimes statements like that do hurt people's feelings.( I did not take it personally as I know your intentions were just to help) Even If I had the money to own an apartment, I would still be asking this question as I cannot stand cruelty to animals. I love my cats so much that I have Pet insurance for them to take good care of them. So I wouldnt mind buying a new cat tree, of course with the raising costs, I wanted to know if there is any site where I can buy from (inexpensive trees), I found one and that is from www.spoilmykitty.com. Just so you know am here (U.S) for work from India and I cannot afford to buy an apartment! Well, that being said, you are a very cute looking kitty. :) Purrs.

Asked by Cherry on Sep 3rd 2008 Tagged declawingcattrees in Animal Welfare

Answers

The following is a list of countries in which declawing cats is either illegal
or considered extremely inhumane and only performed under
extreme circumstances:
England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France,Germany, Austria, Switzerland,
Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland , Ireland ,Denmark ,Finland, Slovenia,Portugal ,Belgium, Brazil, Australia,New Zealand ,Yugoslavia, and Japan. To force someone to declaw is beyond belief. If the cat should get out, how would it defend itself? I would definitely consult the law department of the city you live in to see if forcing you to declaw is legal. As for renting versus owning, I'm sure Atrus didn't mean anything as harsh as it sounded. If your cat is a "scratcher, I would definitely get some posts. I use a relatively inexpensive corrugated cardboard insert in a slanted box that my cats just LOVE!

Atrus

No one is -forcing- them to declaw a cat. Those are the requirements for renting in that complex, and if you don't like it, then you don't have to rent there. It's perfectly legal, just as it would be to tell a person with a large dog that they have to rehome it if they wish to rent an apartment that does not allow large breeds. Like someone else mentioned, you can talk to the landlord or management company about a larger pet deposit, but that did not seem to the point of your original question. So to answer, yes, it is legal for an apartment complex to require you to declaw a cat if you wish to have a cat in their apartments. No, you probably cannot change their mind. I can guarantee they are not doing it to be cruel and they may or may not be aware of the realities of declawing, they probably do not care. It is simply a policy many apartments have to reduce the need for repairs between tenants. Most apartments also require cats to be spayed or neutered, to reduce urine damage.

Atrus answered on 9/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Philbert

I'm not sure where in the us you are but if your apt complex is privately owned you might be able to talk to the landlord. Out lease says no pets but we've been OKed to have two cats. Also, if they saw you can only have delayed cats , there are caps you can get for thier claws that accomplished the same thing (no damaging scratching) and maybe they would be open to that option. I live in NYC with a lot of privately owned buildings with landlords who are rational people you can deal with. Unfortunately if the building is owned by a big company you'll have a much less chance since everyone will just want to follow the rules.

Philbert answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer