at what age do cats stop growing?

my mommy keeps calling me a "big bog" and "lil fatty" and i think its cause im kinda big for my age. im like 10 pounds and really long. right now im 9 months old. am i guna get bigger?

Asked by Member 551251 on Jan 9th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

This is a question that's best for your vet to answer--someone who can visually examine your kitty and take an educated guess as to his breed. Most vets have a chart on their wall that explains when a cat is too skinny, just right and overweight. My Izzie is a Maine Coon mix and I expect him to gain a pound a month according to his age. He is now 8 months old and probably weights about 7 or 8 pounds, but Maine Coons are BIG kitties. If you leave food out for Bandit all the time, you might want to feed him just a little, not leave the food bowl overflowing. Food bags have charts about how much to feed your cat each day. He also shouldn't be getting more than a half-can of wet food a day. It also might be a good idea if Bandit has not seen a vet yet to have him tested for any health issues that may be causing him to be overweight.

Loki

Most kitties grow to about a year or so , so you will likley get a bit bigger. My pal Izzie is right, some cat breeds are bigger than others- and even then the size varies within the breed. I am a Maine Coon kitty,a large breed that tends to continue to not fully mature until around 4 years of age ( after a year and 1/2 - its mostly adding muscle)
When I was 10 months old I was about 40" long. I am now 1 1/2 years and about 44" long . Although not as big as me, there are some very good sized DSH kitties in our neighborhood. Good nutrition and plenty of exercise will help you reach your full growth potential as far as height and length!

Loki answered on 1/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer