Suzi

Are those expensive cat trees actually worth it?

I've been looking into buying some more furniture for my kitty. She is currently only 6 weeks old, so if I were to buy one of those tall and complex cat trees she most likely wouldn't be using it much quite yet. But I've also been wanting to get her a high quality cat bed and this is where my question comes in. Would it be more worth my money to buy a large, complex cat tree, one that includes a bed at the bottom, so she could use it now? Or, would I be better off just buying her a bed and/or a smaller tree/condo? If any of you have tall cat trees, how much do your cats use them and would you say they are worth the money? (They are generally around $100) Any info will be much appreciated, thank you!

Asked by Suzi on Jul 24th 2014 Tagged furniture, beds, trees, condos in Beds

Answers

My kitten (she's 6 months old now) LOVES her cat tree. Hers is 2 tiers with a bed at the bottom and it has a tunnel/hammock thing which is like another bed. She was climbing up to the top pretty soon after I got it, though she was a bit older than 6 weeks.

I would say that a tree is a worthy investment, especially if it has scratching posts as well. Most cats love to be up high, or have that option there.

I have an inexpensive cat bed which Phoebe has only JUST started using. Her preferred sleep spot is still on top of a cushion, however. :p

Nini Stephanie JoJo

My cat has passed up every bed I have tried in favorite of sleeping on her cat tree. Her first tree got old and quite shabby after many years of use. I decided to replace it and bought a Petco "Premium" cat tree on sale. This new tree is a big disappointment. It is cheaply made and does not compare to what we had. I bought it online; it looked good online. We paid about $200 for the first tree, and about $100 for the Petco tree. we still have the original tree, and I am going to try to get it refurbished. So, it is the old get what you paid for that applies here plus do not buy online.

Nini Stephanie JoJo answered on 7/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lincoln

My cats love "Catty Stacks." They are sturdy cardboard boxes that clip together to make towers or tunnels or hangouts. Since they clip together, you can rearrange them which keeps my kitties from getting bored. I have stuck a throw pillow in one of the boxes that they use a bed. Since you have such a little kitty you could start off with 2 and build up as she gets bigger.
I also love that they are easy enough to assemble and take down that I can fold them up and put them away if we have company and need extra space.

www.amazon.com

Lincoln answered on 7/28/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kitty Ga-Ga

I have these cat trees and I'd say they are definitely worth the money. They are much sturdier and cats like a sturdy tree that won't tip over. My cats use them constantly. The cats also love scratching on the sisal wrapped posts of these trees. Your kitten will use the tree much more than you realize. I had 3 very young 6 to 8 wks old rescue kittens who were zooming up and down my biggest cat tree and playing on the highest shelves from the first day they were introduced to the tree. Also if you place a tree by a window, your cat will enjoy sitting on the tree and watching out the window. My cat tree shelves are nearly always occupied by some of my cats watching out the window.

Kitty Ga-Ga answered on 7/29/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer