Are there problems with fixed Mother cat producing milk 14 weeks after birthing and 5 weeks after surgery?

Cat birthed 3 kittens. Gave away 2. Kept 1. One we kept, keeps suckling Momma cat. Milk produced. I thought this was over once surgery occurred.
Plenty of food available for cats. Momma cat staying skinny while kitten grows bigger.

Btw...my 12 year old Golden Retriever (never a mom) produced milk and thought she was the mother of the kittens. Dog and Momma cat take turns taking care of kitten.

Asked by Member 1128164 on Aug 29th 2012 Tagged lactatingcat, dogproducingmilkforkitten in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Boy, oh, boy! You've got some weird stuff going on in your house! But it's better than if all the animals were fighting. I've heard 2 schools of thought on spayed cats nursing-one says it's entirely possible as long as the kittens suckle for even a spayed cat to produce milk. The other side says no way. I'm not sure veterinary professionals and researchers entirely understand how hormones work in cats (and dogs) and pretty much everything is possible, I guess. However, if your mama cat is not recovering her figure after kitten birth and stays skinny, you may want to consider making sure the kitten isn't depleting her too much. Make sure the kitten is well fed with good quality kitten food, or have "Aunt Goldie" kittensit for a while to give mom a rest.