Are there other illnesses that mimic FIP?

It's looking like FIP may be the diagnosis for my 9 year old cat, but the more I read about it the more uncertain I am. The vet is running some FIP tests due to fluid in his stomach, but I see that it is hard to diagnose so I want to make sure we've thought of everything before making any permanent decisions.
Are there other tests I should ask for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Member 632431 on May 13th 2008 Tagged fip, fluid, tests, diagnosis in Illness & Disease

Answers

One of the reasons it's so hard to diagnose FIP is that the symptoms can be the same as kidney and/or liver failure, pancreatitis, diabetes, neurological disease, gastrointestinal diseases, (vomiting, diarrhea), and eye diseases. Many of these diseases will show up in blood tests which your vet is probably already running on your cat. X-rays and ultrasound can also provide a basis for diagnoses. Whatever afflicts your kitty, you are in my thoughts. Please feel free to pawmail me at any time! Good luck.