Close X

Are there known ways of introducing your resident cat and kitten without any injuries/stress occurring?

We recently rescued a 2 month old kitten from outside. Our resident cat doesn't seem to be much of a fan of hers however, she isn't displaying any signs of hostility, aggravation or stress factors aside from her tail movement being slight when they are in sight of each other, hissing and the occasional growling. I do not wish to rehome the kitten, but our resident cat has been with us the longest. Are there any known tips to work when it comes to attempting to introduce them without causing added stress?
They are separated in different areas of the house while my Husband and I are away at work but we do attempt to introduce them on our arrival home.

Asked by Member 1261170 on Jun 24th 2016 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I found this online:

Give each cat items with the other cat's smell on them so they'll be familiar with each other even before they meet face-to-face. Let the resident cat see the new one through the partially opened door of his safe room, and once you've repeated this for a few days or a week, allow them to meet, with your supervision, in a neutral room. They'll sniff at each other, and may posture with tails up or just stare. Offer a toy they can share to encourage them to play. If one or both cats seem stressed, keep the encounter short, and then repeat for a longer period later. Gradually, they will accept each other. Coping with aggression If either cat flattens his ears, growls or spits, you can clap or talk loudly to distract them from getting into a fight, but if their aggression ramps up, separate the cats for a day. Try another meeting after they have calmed down. Their period of introduction and adjustment may take weeks or even months.

Gizmo

My oldest cat never took to any of the other cats that have come into our household. One thing to definitely make sure of is that they each have their own resources (litter box, food, water, etc) What worked for me is to slowly introduce them to each other. Take your time and don't force them (especially the older cat). Cat's tend to be territorial. Hissing, pawing and growling are normal. It's good that you're keeping them separated when unsupervised. When it came to my younger of the older cats and the kitten that we just got, she was more tolerable, but she still growled, hissed and swiped for a little while. She eventually stopped and now they're ok. Some cats just don't take to others very well (my oldest cat for example). She has never like any other cat and to this day doesn't.

Gizmo answered on 6/26/16. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Saphira

Twinkle had some great ideas, most of which we used when we introduced our three year old Ocicat Saphira to our new little 18 month old Oci fireball Viola in 2012. We also used a couple of others we picked up from "My Cat From Hell" and also their breeder (both had the same ideas). One is introducing them across a barrier. We used a "baby gate" we borrowed from our daughter, setting it up across the door into the bedroom where Viola was confined during their introduction. We fed each on their side of the barrier, so that they would come to associate the other with good things. The other thing we tried was "site swapping", temporarily switching their rooms, another trick to get each used to the other's scent. After a week or so of this, we did our first face to face meetings, supervised at first, starting with only an hour or so. After about a week of this, we cautiously gave them both the run of the house. Within a few days they were both sleeping in bed with us. Since then, peace!

Saphira answered on 9/30/16. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer